How to choose your first dance song
Choosing the first dance song for your wedding can be one of the hardest decisions for your special day.
With so many songs to choose from it can be a daunting process selecting the right song. There are some important factors to keep in mind when making a decision.
- Select a song that means something to you as a couple. It may be the song you heard on your first date, a song that reminds you of each other or a song you both love & sing along to whenever you hear it.
- Try choose a song that’s unique & not the same as everyone else’s. Obviously some couple, somewhere will have probably used the same song as you however try not to copy the song choice of a couple who’s wedding you have attended.
- If you plan to choreograph a dance to go with your first song then make sure your both going to be comfortable dancing to the song.
A client of mine once told me that her partner went through the alphabet & picked songs with each letter. The letter ‘I’ was what they liked the most as it represented strong sayings of emotion like “I Do”, “I Swear” & “I Love You”. They then found some songs that started with the letter “I”.
I see a lot of first dances & have come up with a ‘Top 5’ list of songs that have proven popular. I’ve broken them down into ‘New’ & ‘Old’ songs.
Top 5 ‘Old’ Wedding First Dance Songs
- Etta James – At Last
- Love Me Tender – Elvis Presley
- Amazed – Lonestar
- Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You
- Michael Buble – Everything
Top 5 ‘New’ Wedding First Dance Songs
- Jason M’raz – I’m Yours
- Christina Perri – A Thousand Years
- Bruno Mars – Marry You
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele
- You Got the Love – Florence & the Machine
The first dance song doesn’t need to be something you can slow waltz to. It could also be something fun, upbeat, rock & roll, anything! As long as it’s special to you both. Here is a couple ‘quirky’ first dance songs I’ve seen used when DJ’ing at weddings in the past.
- Chris Brown – Forever
- Daft Punk – Something About Us
- Queen – Crazy Little Thing Called Love
- The Darkness – I Believe In A Thing Called Love
Also, don’t feel you are restricted to just one song! If you’ve hired a DJ for the entertainment, ask them to play two songs if you want to stop the first song half way through then go into another song. You could both dance to the first song then invite the wedding party up to join you for the second song. Here at NZDJ we often get asked to edit multiple songs together prior to the night so the bride & groom can practice to the final version & ensure everything is right for the night.
Remember, it’s your special day! Don’t feel the need to please your family or guests – make it about you as a couple. It’s a once in a lifetime day so make sure the first dance is special & something you will both cherish forever.
Author – Kieran Bell ( NZDJ | New Zealand’s Premier Wedding DJ Hire )
Celebration entertainment and first dance music